• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Weight Gain While on SSRIs AND seroquel

crevan

Bluelighter
I've been losing weight and eating shitty lately and I am only 98Lbs now at 5'5" female. I want to get up to 125 at least. I am on Siroquel that I am told a side effect is weight gain but I am also on Clonazepam and Cipralex/Lexapro and Acetometophine with codeine 300s i think....that or 500's.

I am looking for a good natural way to gain the weight, meaning how many calories I need to take in and such to add on the pounds but not in a way that make me look aweful, I plan on working out too. As so the added calories won;t go right to my thighs and arse.

According to those online calorie calculators I intake : 5,165g a day and I can walk up to 4km a day and some days just around the block....5-10 min. walk.

Anyone have any good ideas for weight gain while I am on the meds? I have heard they can also cause weight loss which i don;t want.

what kind of foods, exercises and stuff would *help* me reach my goal weight of 125Lbs?

I would drop the goal of a specific weight and instead focus on looking good. I'm 5'5 and normally around 107lbs, which is the weight I look good at. When I went up to 128lbs due to being on opiates I looked terrible cuz its not my normal weight. SO just saying, weight might not be the best thing to want to reach, a weight on which u look good is what u really want.

A few months ago I went down to 95lbs due to quitting opiates. Now I'm at 107 again and look normal again. I just made myself eat a good healthy diet. Fruits, vegetables, meat. I cook cuz I don't work outside the home so I just try to make healthy meals several times a day and make myself finish the meals. It has worked so far to bring me up to the weight I look decent at. I don't exercise and just focusing on my diet has been enough.

Making urself eat as much as u can handle is really the best way. Exercise can help as it can make u hungrier and therefore make u eat more. That's all I can really tell u as thats all I do and I've been in similar situations.

At this weight u might not really want to focus on exercising as u don't want to lose too many calories. Light exercise is what u want to start with and focus on getting calories into ur body. Once u get a little heavier, start exercising. At this point a strenuous exercise might do more harm than good. Just my opinion.

Also the meds u r on are know for causing weight gain and its not always a weight gain that looks good. When I gained the wight from opiates it was from slower metabolism, water retention and just fat. It really didn't look good at all, even thou it wasn't a high weight. Just keep that it mind that just cuz u gain weight doesn't mean u'll look better with the weight. Once u gain a little more than what u r now keep a good workout routine, swimming, running, yogam pilates, whatever and watch for unwanted weight gain. Some fat is ok but what u want is a lean muscular figure, not fat or bulky really and the drugs u r on, if combined with no exercise and horrible diet will provide just the opposite of what u want. My friend who is normally around 125 & 5'7 went on Depakote for a year or so while in jail. It can have similar side effects to seroquel. She went up to 190lbs and looked like a monster. She is back to 125lbs now.

Last edited:
Begin a program of regular vigorous exercise. Your appetite will naturally increase proportional to the intensity of your exercise. If you do strength/weight training and eat plenty of protein, the calories you burn will contribute to muscle building.

I've been losing weight and eating shitty lately and I am only 98Lbs now at 5'5" female. I want to get up to 125 at least. I am on Siroquel that I am told a side effect is weight gain but I am also on Clonazepam and Cipralex/Lexapro and Acetometophine with codeine 300s i think....that or 500's.

I am looking for a good natural way to gain the weight, meaning how many calories I need to take in and such to add on the pounds but not in a way that make me look aweful, I plan on working out too. As so the added calories won;t go right to my thighs and arse.

According to those online calorie calculators I intake : 5,165g a day and I can walk up to 4km a day and some days just around the block....5-10 min. walk.

Anyone have any good ideas for weight gain while I am on the meds? I have heard they can also cause weight loss which i don;t want.

what kind of foods, exercises and stuff would *help* me reach my goal weight of 125Lbs?

Keep track of what you eat for a day and write how many calories every thing has and add it up. If you want to gain weight you have to eat more than you usually do. Eat foods like potatoes, pasta, fish, eggs, peanutt butter, chicken, beef stew stuff like that. Do push ups crunches, pullups. Also do squats for your quadriceps. If you stay somewhat active the weight wont go to your stomach butt or thighs. Women seem to have no problem gaining weight though, I am a guy and I am trying to gain 20 lbs . I am having a hard time. I started to lift weights again to build up muscles so I can gain MUSCLE weight not FAT weight. My stomach is probably the fattest part of my body though and I do crunches 3-4 times a week. I really need to gain weight and muscles. well good luck and I hope I helped answer your question. Also gave you some insight into my dilemma too. By the way it probably will take a while to gain weight. that what sucks.

Crevan, you should really speak to your prescribing doctor about this. He/she will know what you should and should not do to gain and maintain your weight while on these medications. You really do not need to do much to stay healthy once you learn how to eat a sensible diet. As far as exercise goes, you only need moderate exercise to be in good physical shape. If possible, see if you can get in touch with a nutritionist. Please bring this concern to your prescribing doctor so he/she can advise you on a healthy way to achieve your goals.